Evan rolled onto his back and looked up at the ceiling. He tried to focus on the cracks in the slick white tiles, but his eyes kept closing with each spasm of pain. Each intake of breath brought a sharp stab of pain that was impossible to ignore, and with each one Evan wondered why his new found ability did not kick in and protect him from the fumes or the assault of his jailer. It had always kicked in when he was in danger, even when he did not know it, but it had sorely let him down in this instance. Continue reading
Category Archives: 100-Word Challenge
"No shit! Why do you think we've kept you locked away in here?" The man grabbed Evan by the collar and dragged him back to his mat on the floor. "I don't care if you die or not, but Isis thinks you might be important, so I would appreciate it if you would just lie here and wait like a good boy." He emphasized the last two words with another pair of kicks.
Evan sputtered and coughed as he clutched at his ribs. "Stop. I'll stay put. I didn't know," he said.
"Stupid ass." The man walked to the door and opened it wide. "Don't expect any more food today. You've screwed that up for yourself." The man left the room and slammed the door shut behind him.
- Battling the headstrong ... (jo1979.wordpress.com)
- Writing with a dash of fear (writeaubreywrite.wordpress.com)
- Time Is the Enemy (faymoore.wordpress.com)
- Write! Right? Right! (greyspacethoughts.wordpress.com)
- Filter? Yeah, right. (adparrish.wordpress.com)
"You idiot!" The muffled, mechanical sounding voice surprised Evan before his jailer/savior kicked him in the stomach. Evan threw up the limited contents of his gut, but he was unsure if it was because of the kick or the pollutants coursing through his blood. "If you wanted to die you could have just told us and I wouldn't have to wear this suit any longer." The man in the environmental suit kicked Evan once more.
"I'm sorry," Evan croaked. "I can't stay here. It's not safe." He tried to move away and received a kick to the chin for his troubles.
- It Gets Better: Why Suicide or Self-Harm Isn't Your Only Option (sometimesawriter.wordpress.com)
- Oregon prisoners driven to suicide by torture in solitary confinement units (moorbey.wordpress.com)
- On Suicides, Caste and Higher Education (fakhrah.wordpress.com)